I wrote down everything I read and began writing my own first novel...

This blog aimed to contrast what I was reading in in 1975-79 with the same month, week and day, 30 years later in 2005-2009. I'm leaving the blog up in archive mode, blogging in real time on Live Journal--and still writing novels.

Lynne Murray's Live Journal and Bride of the Dead Blog

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Our Obsessions, Ourselves

October 16-25, 1975

Busman's Honeymoon, Dorothy L. Sayers
(Read once more with pleasure)

Constant Reader, Dorothy Parker, New Yorker pieces 1927-33)

Mademoiselle Chanel, Pierre Galante: translated by Eileen Geist & Jessie Wood
Skimmed, I vaguely remember good photographs

Extreme Remedies, John Hejinian

Dolphins, Jacques Cousteau & Phillippe Diate

Homeward and Beyond, Poul Anderson

Lovecraft, Sprague de Campe

The Tomb and Other Tales of Horror, H.P. Lovecraft


Oct 16-25, 2005

I'm Not the New Me, a Memoir, Wendy McClure

A Fat Girl's Guide to Life, Wendy Shanker

Before I picked theses books up, I had Wendy McClure and Wendy Shanker mixed up. Well, actually I thought they were the same person, and at first I was confused that Shanker's website http://www.wendyshanker.com/
didn't have McClure's hilarious satire on Weight Watchers cards, which you can read at http://www.candyboots.com/ .

I gotta tell ya--reading the books together cleared that up in a hurry!

Wendy McClure writes for Television without Pity. She seems to be about 30.

Wendy Shanker has done stand up comedy on television as well as articles for many women's magazines. She seems perhaps in her mid-30s. Five years can make a difference in that decade of life! In my own defense against ditziness for getting the two confused, I'll say that the two books came out at the same time and were often reviewed together.


I'm Not the New Me, a Memoir, Wendy McClure

I started with this book because I had found her satire on the 1970s Weight Watchers cards so funny. Indeed at the end of the book, in the acknowledgements, she states: "Thank you, Weight Watchers, International, for influencing me in a way that certainly neither of us ever expected. And for not, you know, suing me." I am Not the New Me, p. 308.

Why should they sue her? Her book is a WW marketer's wet dream. (Hereafter I'm going to refer to it as "WW" because I don't care to waste keystrokes on them.)

Oh, McClure makes fun of 1970s WW recipe cards, but I'm not surprised that a publisher pounced on this one like a cat on a hot tinned mackerel.

Let's review" She's 30ish, writes for a popular-with-plugged-in-youth website, she's got her own "dieting progress" website with all kind of quirky, funny scenes from the life, and she's essentially endorsing female bonding through a venerable diet organization with a major marketing budget and a vested interest in attracting younger consumers…. Hmmm…. That's the kind of math publishers like to do.

McClure's charm notwithstanding, I had to stop reading for awhile. I felt a mixture of anger, sadness and queasiness. The writing may be appealing or amusing but the actual effect is saddening.

It's one thing when McClure free-associates over the lame, puke-in-Technicolor '70s recipe cards. I laughed. You can read it free at the candyboots.com site referenced above.

But when I realized that I had paid money for a book that was essentially a love affair with a national diet plan, I had to put the book down. I got nauseous for real.

Fortunately, I picked up--

Review of A Fat Girl’s Guide to Life by Wendy Shanker

Shanker's journalistic background and in-your-face feminist attitude cleared out some cobwebs immediately.

Plenty of research suggests that obesity—at least as it's classically defined—is not nearly the death sentence that most media outlets and weight-loss companies would have you believe. Half of have the battle is won when you start reading between the lines. You have to look for alternative opinions because they don't get a lot of publicity. NO ONE MAKES MONEY FROM TELLING YOU YOU'RE FINE THE WAY YOU ARE. The Fat Girl's Guide to Life, p. 113 [full caps from LM.]


Okay just one more quote, the nausea receding…feeling better now:

….MAJOR WEIGHT LOSS PROGRAMS WOULD NOT BE SUCCESSFUL BUSINESS MODELS IF THEY HELPED YOU LOSE WEIGHT AND MAINTAIN THAT LOSS. The Fat Girl's Guide to Life, p. 50 [full caps in original].

Shanker gets a bit bossy in her prescriptions for a healthy life as a "Fat Girl" (as opposed to a cringing lower case "fat girl"). But there are so many people trying to tell us what to do and eat and think, it's refreshing to find a bossy young woman telling us, "Think for yourself, goddamn it."

Eventually I did go back and finish I Am Not the New Me. McClure is a skillful and sensitive writer. I suppose what haunted me the most—possibly because I'm around the same age as McClure's mother—is the way that both mother and daughter justify the mother's TWO stomach stapling operations, and then blame the mother for regaining all the weight after each. McClure states:

My mom was getting fat again. The surgeries could only do so much; unlike the kinds of gastric surgeries that came later, there was no intestinal bypass….and it was possible to stretch the stomach over time. I Am Not the New Me, p. 144.

First of all this is classical blaming the victim. Second, gastric surgeons change techniques often—essentially experimenting on their paying clients. This also allows them to say, "Oh, those old operations were flawed." There is no proof whatsoever that the current crop of operations will have any different regain rates than the old. Weight loss surgery of any kind is essentially creates surgically enforced bulimia and anorexia--when they talk among themselves, bariatric surgeons admit as much. The effect is the same with both older and newer operations, and it does not make a naturally thin person out of a fat person.

McClure's mother sounds like a very gentle, long-suffering person, and I hated so much to see her blamed for regaining weight, or for eating ice cream because it was all she could keep down without vomiting. McClure asks her mother (who is a therapist) if she felt okay about having two gastric surgeries and then regaining all the weight each time. Her mother essentially tells her--

...she says she wished she hadn't, of course. She says it was goodjust to do it. There was a time she'd convinced herself that she was just too far gone, and the fact that her body had this potential to change, that despite everything it could follow the logic of science, that therefore she was still a part of the world, part of everything. I'm Not the New Me, p. 297

Sigh.

McClure certainly took risks, first in web journaling openly on the internet about intensely personal life, and now in exposing the same things in book form. Her honesty is engaging, but the way that she clings to weighing herself as a barometer of self-worth drives me totally up the wall.

Mainly I felt like handing McClure a copy of A Fat Girl's Guide to Life.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read I'm Not The New Me while I was traveling a few months ago, and I LOVED it. I am slightly older than Wendy, but I think what I liked most about it was that it was like listening in on an honest, intimate girlfriend-to-girlfriend chat -- something I have rarely experienced in a book before. When the book ended, Wendy wasn't thin and perfect and all of her dreams hadn't come true. It felt real and immediate, and it was funny (the reason I bought the book was because I'm a big TWoP fan). Of course, I totally understand your reaction to the book; I just thought I would add another perspective.

Lynne Murray said...

Ah, Sue, you make me feel old and cynical! I'm also a fan of Television Without Pity and I was also captivated by how Wendy McClure brings you into her thoughts and feelings in a very immediate and uncommonly witty way. For me, the Weight Watchers lifestyle thing suddenly came out of the wings like some crazed attacker with a custard pie. I didn't see it coming, didn't like it when it got there, and because I liked her writing, I couldn't simply bail. Because this material evolved day by day, in full view of her web log readers, there is an unfinished, work in progress feeling... It's to Wendy McClure's credit that she wasn't even mildly tempted to totally go with the "diet book" motif that was suggested to her in Ch. 47. She's an interesting writer and I'll be curious to see what she does in future.

Wendy said...

Lynne, I don't know how you got the impression that I approve of weight loss surgery--either the current bypass techniques or the kind of procedure that my mother had. In the passage you quoted I was clarifying the difference between the two and explaining why it was easier for her to regain the weight with her kind of surgery than with the newer surgeries.

I suppose I could have said that I am glad that all that happened to my mom was that she stretched her stomach and gained weight back; that I am glad that she didn't have to suffer insulin shock and the various other horrors that happen to people who get these surgeries.

But a diatribe against weight loss surgery in general simply didn't fit into this personal story, and I thought it was enough to describe how even the older surgery made my mother ill, and the sadness and confusion we all felt (not to mention my teenage anger) at seeing her go through this after we'd been told this procedure would be a "solution."

I'm just disheartened to find that you read this all differently, just because I wrote occasionally positive things about a weight loss program. (Never mind that I also wrote some satirical and deeply ambivalent things about that same program, a program which I'd abandoned by the end of the book.)

And I did read Wendy Shanker's book when it first came out, about a year before mine, and enjoyed it very much. But please understand I didn't set out to write the same kind of book at all.

But most of all I hope you'll take another look at those passages about my mother and see that I was trying to tell a much different kind of story than one a so-called Weight Watchers spokesperson would tell.

Lynne Murray said...

Wendy, I really like your writing or I wouldn’t have lent your book to a friend. When I have it back in hand this weekend, I’ll revisit the passages we’re disagreeing about.

However, I can say this. I never meant to suggest that you were consciously a spokesperson for Weight Watchers or an apologist for weight loss surgery. Do I think that corporate WW was happy to have an edgy, witty, youth-market-oriented person like yourself spend most of your book talking about online bonding while doing their program? Yeah. I do. I don’t think that was your goal. If it helped you get your book out there, then hey, it helped get your book out there, and it's an attractive book and funny places--both things I value.

I sure as hell don’t think you should write a diatribe, aka rant, you don’t feel.

As a humble writer of diatribes and novels (and often of novels that contain diatribes) I also would never suggest that anyone undertake a full-throated rant if it was not heartfelt. If Allen Ginsberg hadn’t felt strongly, Howl would have been called Whimper.

I had to set down your book for awhile—though I came back to finish it. The point where I stopped was when I realized most, if not all of the female bonding centered around weight loss, Weight Watchers, etc. There’s a reason why your editor wanted to make it a Diet Progress Diary. You don’t have to tell me that this is really how it is with many people. I know it, and I don’t have a good feeling about that.

Disconnecting Diatribe Mode. I’ll check back when I’ve had a chance to look at the passages I quoted in context.
Lynne