I wrote down everything I read and began writing my own first novel...

This blog aimed to contrast what I was reading in in 1975-79 with the same month, week and day, 30 years later in 2005-2009. I'm leaving the blog up in archive mode, blogging in real time on Live Journal--and still writing novels.

Lynne Murray's Live Journal and Bride of the Dead Blog

Monday, April 17, 2006

A mixed bag from the past, and a small taste of fantasy in the present

I'm still besieged by deadlines, so it’s been a week with only a little book reading, unlike the same week 30 years earlier.

April 10 to April 17, 1976 I read:

The Best of Judith Merrill
Somehow rather depressing. (That was my note, can't recall why I thought so.)

Son-Rise, Barry Neil Kaufman
A father’s account of a couple determined to find a way to nurture their autistic son. Evidently, there’s 1993 follow up to the 1976 book called Son-Rise: The Miracle Continues, with the Kaufmans’ son, Raun, at that point a college student, as co-author. How cool is that?

Japanese in Action: An Unorthodox Approach to the Spoken Language and the People Who Speak It, Jack Seward
I enjoyed this more for insights into Japanese culture, as I’m not a student of the language.

Hefner, Frank Brady
I vaguely remember this biography. It’s long out of print now.


April 10 to April 17, 2006, I read:

Moon Called, Patricia Briggs
The first in a new series featuring Mercedes Thompson a coyote shapeshifter and auto mechanic raised by werewolves. This author has a couple of other series I will have to check out. This one was interesting, one of those fantasy books about werewolf/vampire/fae folk meeting modern life. Convoluted other worldly politics. It held my interest.
She has a website at http://www.patriciabriggs.com/index.shtml

No comments: