I wrote down everything I read and began writing my own first novel...

This blog aimed to contrast what I was reading in in 1975-79 with the same month, week and day, 30 years later in 2005-2009. I'm leaving the blog up in archive mode, blogging in real time on Live Journal--and still writing novels.

Lynne Murray's Live Journal and Bride of the Dead Blog

Monday, April 04, 2005

beadwork (also fiction) as a spectator sport

March 16-31, 1975, I read:

Native Funk and Flash (I have Scrimshaw listed as author, but that may be the press. I remember this as a beautiful, sort of funky, folky book about putting beading on blue jeans. Something so far beyond my uncrafty self that it might as well have taken place on the moon. But the pictures were cool.)

Natural Magic (Black Watch is what I listed as author, but that's probably the press here too.)

Killers of the Mind, Lucy Freeman, ed.

Of men and plants: The autobiography of the world's most famous plant healer,
Maurice Mességué

Clearly I was going through a "back to my hippie roots" phase there - gazing at beadwork, talking to plants, a little psychopathology on the side...oops!


In contrast March 16-31, 2005 I read:

The Full Cupboard of Life: More from the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, Alexander McCall Smith


The Sunday Philosophy Club : An Isabel Dalhousie Mystery, Alexander McCall Smith

I've loved the No. I Ladies' Detective Agency mysteries, with their "traditionally" built heroine Precious Ramotswe, who runs a detective agency in Gabrone, Botswana. I don't know if it was the colder climate or a dozen other factors I could name, but I had major trouble warming up to the Isabel Dalhousie mystery. The heroine is a philosopher-academic who is isolated socially and emotionally from the mainstream of life (geeze! You'd think I could relate to that!) The setting is in Edinburgh, Scotland. The whole thing moved a lot slower and I had trouble staying engaged with it--even though there was an actual murder on the first page. Paradoxically, the Precious Ramotswe mysteries rarely have a murder at all, but the stories with their little puzzles draw the reader right along!

No comments: