I wrote down everything I read and began writing my own first novel...

This blog aimed to contrast what I was reading in in 1975-79 with the same month, week and day, 30 years later in 2005-2009. I'm leaving the blog up in archive mode, blogging in real time on Live Journal--and still writing novels.

Lynne Murray's Live Journal and Bride of the Dead Blog

Saturday, April 09, 2005

Diagrams and vampires

April 1975 around April 5-9 I tried to read:

Total Man, Stan Gooch

I noted that I didn't finish it. I have no recollection of this book, so I just went and looked it up on the web. Still no recollection, but if the web explanations were like the book I can see why I bailed back then. Diagrams of psychological concepts. I like the concepts, but the diagrams don't help me understand them--particularly when they are lists. Aiiii, the only lists I like are shopping lists and I don't always follow those.

April 5-9, 2005, I read:

Undead and Unwed, MaryJanice Davidson

Vampire chick lit, well--actually it was vampire romance with attitude, and in this case a vampire with a major addiction to designer footwear. It was an amusing read. I don't know if this kind of humorous romance existed in 1975, but if so I wasn't reading them--certainly there were no humorous vampire romances!. I recently re-read Anne Rice's Interview with the Vampire and remembered everything I'd liked about it back when I first read it. I also noticed the purple prose that would eventually spread in some of her later books to take on a life of its own. Comparing Interview with the Vampire with Unwed and Undead is kind of like comparing heavy, smoky incense with a scented candle.

No comments: