I wrote down everything I read and began writing my own first novel...

This blog aimed to contrast what I was reading in in 1975-79 with the same month, week and day, 30 years later in 2005-2009. I'm leaving the blog up in archive mode, blogging in real time on Live Journal--and still writing novels.

Lynne Murray's Live Journal and Bride of the Dead Blog

Saturday, April 16, 2005

From the Occult '70s to the Time Traveling Present

April 12 to 23, 1975 I read:

Occult America, John Godwin

I had no recollection of this book, which evidently was the only one I read until around May 23 during this period. (So the next few weeks entries will be all 2005, it looks like--but I digress) I looked it up and found: OCCULT AMERICA, By John Godwin; 1972, Doubleday & Company, Inc.

Online at the Church of Satan's web site I found an amusing excerpt of Godwin's meeting with Anton LaVey in his San Francisco Church of Satan headquarters. He starts this chapter by saying--

All you have to do is ring a certain San Francisco telephone number and wait until a chirpy secretarial voice at the other end says, “Good morning, Church of Satan.” It is, let’s face it, a wee bit anticlimactic.

The Church was founded in 1966 by Chicago-born Anton Szandor LaVey, whose exotic names derive from Romanian, Alsatian and Georgian ancestry. He got off to a rather creaky start when—in order to raise support for his movement—he staged some embarrassingly naïve nightclub rituals involving topless witches and a bikini-clad “inquisitioner”; allegedly a former counselor for Billy Graham.

Godwin was irreverent and had a reportorial eye for hype, so I probably enjoyed the book.

Some people are frightened or threatened when young people explore fringe ideas. But I think that fear doesn't stop the people doing the exploring. I suspect that people who feel threatened are looking through the lens of their own religion, and fearing ideas that don't have an official stamp of approval. I've been a religious fanatic, and I know that mindset well.

In fact, one reason I was exploring books out on the fringe reality in 1975 was looking for boundaries. I was hitting my head against the wall--sometimes literally--trying to get my brain working again after a seven-year fanatical interlude. I wasn't looking for a different religion--Buddhism had saved my life before and was continuing to do so--still does so to this day. But back then I was sifting out how to be a Buddhist without being a fanatic.

The Occult America book was not a particularly dark or scary one. From the excerpt, it seems to have been more of a reporter shaking his head at human folly. The English do that so well.

April 12-15, 2005, I read:

Lost in a Good Book, Jasper Fforde
Speaking of the English doing things well, this is the sequel to The Eyre Affair. It moves a little slower, but there are action sequences. I truly savored the whimsical Alice in Wonderland alternate universe Fforde has created, where the heroine Thursday Next could genetically engineer her own dodo from an over-the- counter kit, small groups of reengineered wooly mammoths migrate north to south across England to the delight of tourists, and the occasional Hispano-Suiza motorcar is dropped on our heroine's picnic blanket from a passing hot air balloon freighter.

Time is out of joint and in order to put it right, our heroine has to go voyaging through it, also through a breathtaking library in another dimension that contains all the books written, or even imagined. Sigh. I was, of course, captivated, tending as I do to watch My Fair Lady repeatedly in order to examine the Professor Higgins library more closely. I think I would like to live there.

No comments: