I wrote down everything I read and began writing my own first novel...

This blog aimed to contrast what I was reading in in 1975-79 with the same month, week and day, 30 years later in 2005-2009. I'm leaving the blog up in archive mode, blogging in real time on Live Journal--and still writing novels.

Lynne Murray's Live Journal and Bride of the Dead Blog

Thursday, March 12, 2009

That pesky existential terror again....now starting to catch up

I am still planning to announce some positive publishing news, but I have to finalize it before I can talk about it. Meanwhile, I do apologize to the few, the brave, those kindly people who read this blog, for such a long stretch between posts. I have been working many hours per day for laughable reimbursement in an effort to survive. As a novelist I'm used to working for practically nothing, but this is a semblance of a "day job" so I haven't been able to excuse it as "what I did for my art."

I thought I might blog here around March 13, but I couldn't finish the post before I had to return to rowing as fast as I could to keep from submerging in the white water rapids also known as my turbulent finances. I just contributed a guest blog to Body Impolitic so it seemed only fair to start catching up with my posts here.

Ironically 30 years ago I was moving back to San Francisco after a couple of years of exile in West Los Angeles, I was too distracted to read a lot. I picked up several books and never finished them. This Jan-March, well, I've been reading some when I needed to escape the whole occupation, preoccupation and obsession with making a living thing. So far I have survived to write this. Friends and family have helped...we all have treasures in our lives, and they are mine. I'll try to catch up next time, and I hope to deliver some good news then.

January 30 to March 13, 1979 I didn't finish any of the books below (except the Rocky Handbook)

Life Is a Banquet by Rosalind Russell

Nostalgia Isn't What It Used to Be by Simone Signore

Sylvester Stallone' Official Rocky Handbook
(I was a big Rocky fan then)

The Honorable Schoolboy by John Le Carre
I kept getting the characters mixed up in this one.

I DID finish:

Hate Don't Make No Noise, Anatomy of the New Ghetto by Etta Resvey

Vile Bodies by Evelyn Waugh

Rolling Thunder Logbook by Sam Shepard
my note: self-indulgent in the extreme
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_Thunder_Revue

January 30 to March 13, 2009 I read

Dead to Me by Anton Strout
Not too many paranormal fiction novels are this funny Strout's Amazon blogI couldn't find another and I don't have time to keep looking right now!

Mistral's Kiss by Laurell K. Hamilton
A Lick of Frost by Laurell K. Hamilton
Swallowing Darkness by Laurell K. Hamilton
These are the Meredity Gentry series with more plotting than the Anita Blake series has these days!

No comments: